In Germany during the 1930's, the Nazis interned political prisoners and opponents of the regime in concentration camps. During the Second World War these expanded in number and eventually held many millions of people from occupied countries. Foremost among inmates were Jews and Soviet prisoners of war. Several camps were designed as extermination camps, where millions of people were murdered on an industrial scale.
This feature presents aerial photography of some of these camps.
Sachsenhausen-Oranienburg concentration camp was used primarily for political prisoners from 1936 to 1945. After the Second World War, when Oranienburg was in the Soviet Occupation Zone, it was used as an NKVD special camp until 1950.
Also known as Nordhausen, this camp was used to house slave labourers working underground on tunnel excavation and V-weapon assembly. During 18 months an estimated 20,000 inmates died, mainly from exhaustion, disease and starvation.